Opinion: Why school days should be shorter

Shorter school days lead to less stress

Kendall Campbell

As a fellow student, I can definitely relate to feeling overwhelmed by the demands of school. Starting early in the morning and ending late in the afternoon, high school students often spend over seven hours in school, five days a week, with only a two-day break. This schedule can be incredibly time-consuming and may contribute to both physical and mental health issues.

Shorter school days have the potential to improve students’ overall academic performance. A study published in the Journal of Educational Psychology suggests that students who have more time for rest and extracurricular activities tend to perform better academically.

With shorter school days, students could have more time for relaxation, self-study, and pursuing hobbies, leading to a more balanced and fulfilling student life. Additionally, research indicates that shorter school days could significantly improve students’ mental health by reducing stress and increasing positivity.

Extended exposure to academic stress and pressure can lead to anxiety and decreased motivation. Spending long hours at school leaves little time for completing work from other classes or engaging in extracurricular activities outside of school.

Many high school students have responsibilities beyond academics, such as part-time jobs, sports, or helping at home. Lengthy school days can make it difficult for students to manage these commitments effectively.

Moreover, prolonged time in school can hinder learning effectiveness. After a certain point in the day, students’ ability to absorb new information diminishes.

Shorter school days would allow students to maximize their learning potential and better understand course material without feeling exhausted.

In addition to academic benefits, shorter school days would provide students with more time to spend with family and friends, ultimately contributing to their overall happiness and well-being.