The Bison Bureau

The Student News Site of Buena Vista High School

The Bison Bureau

The Bison Bureau

The band’s journey from hard work to harmony

The instruments of the band resound loudly with a marvelous beat. From the crash of the cymbals to the bangs of the drum and everything in between, the band is strong and ready to play. During pep rallies, the band sounds loud and stellar, with the members playing the instruments harmoniously together. How long does it take to start playing well? Is it hard to play an instrument? These are some questions to ponder when you see the band in action.

The band team works together playing their instruments to a song. All their hard work and practice add up to this glorious outcome. Bryan Diego-Lorenzo plays the trumpet. Starting from 5th grade to the end of 6th grade is when he began to play his notes well. He practices when there’s time for him.

“I feel very accomplished because I actually like to play something,” Bryan shared. “It has its own level of difficulty depending on the instrument.”

They perform at all home football and basketball games plus competitions and exhibitions in Lincoln and Omaha. This year has included the Omaha Marching Exhibition, The Capitol City Marching Band Championships in Lincoln, The Omaha Marching Invitational, and the Nebraska State Bandmaster’s Association Competition hosted at Buell Stadium at Millard South.

These are impressive opportunities for the band to take part in. The band meets every B–Day first period, and our Color Guard meets B2 and every Monday after school from 3:30–5:00.

Sofia Sanchez, a color guard member, said she joined because it seemed fun, and her mom did it and wanted her to do it as well. It took her about a month to get good at tosses, turns, and other things they were taught.

“I think it’s a fun experience for new people who want to try it out,” Sophia explained.

Mr. Smoot is the advisor, and there are 34 members in the band:

Horacio Acosta-Sanchez, Alex Bardac, Lesly Becerril- Vasquez, Gael Camacho, Isabella Clausen, Bryan Diego-Lorenzo, Anthony Elster, Diego Escalante Balderas, Citlali Francisco, Reynaldo Gabino-Lorenzo, Madison Gill, and Victor Gonzalez. Landon Harriman, Abygail Hernandez, AJ Hernandez, Yazmin Hernandez Banderas, Anderli Hernandez Enriquez, Na’chaun Knight, Azucena Lorenzo, Joselyn Lucio-Garcia, and Xander Mosites. Next, Karla Paton Zuniga, Christopher Pavon- Gallardo, Oscar Peña Ortega, Stacey Peru Alas, Brenda Regalado Manzo, Jennifer Rodriguez Navarrete, Siomon Ronquillo, and Airyanna Roush. Maya Shaffer, Jacob Simpson, Adrian Suarez, Jocelyn Viveros, and Salem Wedel.