The Bison Bureau

The Student News Site of Buena Vista High School

The Bison Bureau

The Bison Bureau

Opinion: Show your true colors

No student should be afraid to express their true self in school

Students from around the world struggle with an identity crisis because they feel the need to act a certain way to fit in.

I know this from personal experience as well as what others tell me,but doing this will never result in anything good. Being yourself is always the way to go.

According to an experiment/survey done by “The Still Divided Academy” 48% of students might self-censor in a classroom because another student might judge them; and 30% of students might self-censor in a classroom because they are scared of offending another student.

To censor yourself means to stop yourself from doing or saying things that you want to do or say, because a person thinks its unsuitable for the situation.

Acting this way can make people forget who they are because the only thing they know is to act like others and not be their own self.

When students have to put on a fake identity because they are scared people will judge them, it causes their mental health to deteriorate as well as cause unneeded stress to arise.

According to“verywellmind”, studies by the American Psychological Association (APA) found that teens report stress levels similar to adults. This means teens are experiencing significant levels of chronic stress.

School work, quizzes, tests, homework, deadlines, sports, extracurricular activities all contribute to stress; and these are just half of it. There are so many things a student has to focus on and altering their character to be seen as “cool” or be a part of the majority, stress should not be one of them.

At the end of the day, students go through so much and shouldn’t have to worry about how they’re  going to act in front of certain people.

Students shouldn’t have to worry about being judged for being their own person. If you wear certain clothes, favorite certain things, act a certain way, just know, you should always express yourself true to who you are.