The Bison Bureau

The Student News Site of Buena Vista High School

The Bison Bureau

The Bison Bureau

Opinion: Only four days

The not so good parts of 4-day school weeks

The idea of implementing a four-day school week has sparked a new conversation among public schools and their students, but so far, no action has been taken. While many students might relish the idea of a four-day school week, it’s essential to consider the potential drawbacks.

“You would definitely not be able to cover the same amount of information by the end of the course,” said Mr. Lyman, an anatomy and biology teacher.

Depending on the scheduling format chosen for the four-day weeks, whether it’s block scheduling or 45-minute classes, removing an extra day could result in a loss of crucial learning opportunities. This could lead to an increase in the workload for every class, potentially causing more stress than usual.

“I would still want to get out of school in May and start back in August,” said Heidy Martinez, a junior.

Many students overlook the fact that a four-day school week would likely extend the school year, possibly until June, as schools are mandated to meet a certain number of instructional days. This extension would elongate the school year, which is not typically desirable for students.

“It does increase recharge time to maybe stay motivated or positive,” remarked Mr. Lyman. “I think it would be good for everybody.”

Having an additional day off might boost motivation for both students and teachers. However, there’s a concern that once students become accustomed to having three days off, they may struggle to return to school.

Studies indicate that students are more inclined to take days off after a schedule change, and while breaks are enjoyable, they can sometimes disrupt routines and diminish motivation.