The Bison Bureau

The Student News Site of Buena Vista High School

The Bison Bureau

The Bison Bureau

The benefits of a growth mindset

Keep your head up, you can do it!

What is a growth mindset? Many people may think having a growth mindset is just about improving and being the best version of yourself, which is true… but it is much more than that. According to an article written on Education Week, by: Sarah D. Sparks ‘Growth Mindset’ is linked to higher test scores, as well as a student’s well-being. Andrea Santana, a high school student, agrees heavily that your mindset affects the way you perform in school. “If you think you’re going to do bad at something you’re going to do bad at something. If you think you are going to good at something, you are going to do good at something.”

Growth Mindset not only supports the belief that having a proper mindset is important to succeed, but more importantly, getting there involves dedication and hard work.

Santana describes growth mindset as the following, “Having a growth mindset carry’s the following characteristics, no negativity, positive thoughts, and most importantly not thinking about what brings you down but what brings you up.”

When you think about today’s society, you will hear the words “I’ll never be able to do this!” More than anything. If you live by this phrase, you’ll never accomplish anything, no matter how hard you try. This is known as a fixed mindset, the belief that you are not able to grow in your abilities. The second you say, “I can do this” is exactly when you strike.

Maya Shaffer states the following, “My greatest weakness when trying to stay motivated is either being lazy, or overall getting bored of what I’m doing.” Proving that there is always room for growth and improvement. At the end of the day, we can do anything we set our minds to, so it doesn’t matter if its school, work, or lifetime goal. Santana states the following “Anything is possible if you are willing to push yourself to that level.” So, when you find yourself flailing in a pit of darkness, remember what you are capable of, and rise up!