The Bison Bureau

The Student News Site of Buena Vista High School

The Bison Bureau

The Bison Bureau

The second year of the cheer team **REVAMP**

Bison cheerleaders overcome adversity

The cheer team had a rough start when the coach from the 22-23 year quit right before the start of the year. Fortunately, new coach Citlally Ortega and saved the season.

Despite the shocking turn of events, the cheer team has improved remarkably. Tryouts were very successful with a full team of 20 cheerleaders on the team.

“I think they have improved in many ways; a lot of the girls have found friendships with other girls,” explain Coach Ortega. She is happy the team has created a safe space as a team. Each practice, Ortega sees the cheerleaders help each other out and continue to grow as a team.

Lilly Valadez, freshman cheerleader, agreed that since joining the team she’s really improved as a cheerleader. “We have gotten cleaner with hand movements, and we’re doing stunts. They also are teaching us tumbling, and we’ve gotten quicker at learning new routines,” Lilly states.

Coach Ortega has shown her commitment to the team by preparing them for performances. “I go home constantly looking for things to teach the team and love to see it all come together,” shares Ortega.

Her favorite part about coaching is when she teaches a dance or move, and the team can execute it quickly.